Sunday, February 13, 2011

Clinical: my favorite day of the week

In about an hour and a half, I'll be heading down to the hospital to pick up my clinical assignment for tomorrow morning. Tonight, I will be completing my clinical prep work which includes the follow; Medication administration cards for each medication I will administer to the patient tomorrow; lab cards for the labs and test my patient had today and will have tomorrow; clinical prep sheet describing primary diagnosis and related diagnoses and nursing interventions for each one; nursing process worksheet containing a more specific nursing plan outline for an issue related to the primary diagnosis. This paperwork has been taking me an insanely long time to complete (approximately 5-7 hours) due to me not having a care plan book. Last semester we weren't able to use them so I never bought one. Now we can.. so I know what I'll be purchasing soon!

Luckily, the hospital has a few care plan books. So, my plan for tonight is to complete everything but my cards while I'm there. Even though I'll be at the hospital for a longer amount of time, it should (hopefully) cut down on the overall work time for the prep work. Which will allow me to get a decent amount of sleep tonight and help me feel even more prepared tomorrow. :)

Clinical is easily turning into my favorite day of the week. I love the hospital environment and the challenge that Med-Surg units provide me. I feel very "nurse-like" in this clinical compared to last semester. I think this is partially due to the fact that last semester we were in long-term care...which is what I do for work..so even though the responsibilities were different, the environment being the same didn't make it feel like as much of a change.

Well, I'm off to get some housework done before I leave for the hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment